19 June 2006

Random Censorship at the World Urban Forum

I have no idea how to contain my anger. I was just walking down by Canada Place where they're holding the World Urban Forum, and I saw this guy removing some sort of streamer from a fence near the main gate. The guy was just some anonymous old dude. He looked like he was on vacation. He could have been employed by the RCMP or Canada Place or something. I just didn't know. The streamer was sort of like police tape, only not so bright - just black and white. All it had on it was "makepovertyhistory". There was about 20 feet of it attached to the top of the fence. Basically, you had to be walking right by the fence and looking up to see what it was.It didn't really seem like it was an official cleaning up of the place. It just seemed like some old latent fascist didn't like seeing words of protest in the public forum. It seemed like he was just doing the duty of any responsible sheeple would do. It sickens me to think that some random Joe would feel the need to censor such an unquestionable demand. What the fuck did this guy have against ending poverty?

This is just another one of those cases where I wanted to go over and lay into the guy, ask him who he was, ask him what he thought he was doing, ask him why he was opposed to ending poverty. I didn't. Inevitably when I vent my anger in situations like that, I lose my ability to communicate rational arguments. It's infuriating, but I write better than I speak. I wish I had a camera with me. It was disgusting.

edit - I saw some more of that streamer that hadn't been removed from a lamp pole. I've provided a link to the movement responsible for putting it up.

Labels:


Comments:
there's a dude i'd see all over vancouver ripping posters down, regardless of whether it was a punk show, a drag show, a "buy my vcr i'm moving" poster or whatever.

i bet you 10 cents it was that guy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?