21 July 2006
Mmmmm! I just Googled myself.
Dirty boy.
I've realized that there's an unintended irony in the title of this blog. It's come as a shock that quite a few people consider environmentalism to be a religion - I even know of a couple of atheists who believe it to be. Because of this, when some people refer to "environmental atheists" they're not referring to environmentalists, like myself, who don't believe in god(s). They're referring to people, usually former environmentalists, who don't believe in environmentalism.
Given the virulent power of memes driven by catchy, albeit fallacious sound bytes, this definition will inevitably take root. Never one to go with the flow, I'll continue to use the name, just like I continue to call myself a liberal, and not a progressive. I don't really mind that the language is changing, growing and evolving. Just don't let it be at the hands of dolts, reactionaries and loons.
I've realized that there's an unintended irony in the title of this blog. It's come as a shock that quite a few people consider environmentalism to be a religion - I even know of a couple of atheists who believe it to be. Because of this, when some people refer to "environmental atheists" they're not referring to environmentalists, like myself, who don't believe in god(s). They're referring to people, usually former environmentalists, who don't believe in environmentalism.
Given the virulent power of memes driven by catchy, albeit fallacious sound bytes, this definition will inevitably take root. Never one to go with the flow, I'll continue to use the name, just like I continue to call myself a liberal, and not a progressive. I don't really mind that the language is changing, growing and evolving. Just don't let it be at the hands of dolts, reactionaries and loons.
