31 August 2006

God is punishing South Dakota for literalism

I had heard predictions that the conditions which may be increasing the frequency and severity of hurricanes in the gulf states could also cause major droughts in the Midwest and the Prairies. So, following the record hurricane season we had last year, it appears that the new Dust Bowl may have begun. It would be alarmist to say that this is definitely happening, so I just suggest that we all just follow the story carefully.

And in keeping with the dual theme of this blog, I find myself rewarded with another gem:

Gov. Michael Rounds of South Dakota, who has requested that 51 of the state’s 66 counties be designated a federal agricultural disaster area, recently sought unusual help from his constituents: he issued a proclamation declaring a week to pray for rain.


As far as I know, he didn't stipulate which god(s) should be prayed to. My personal preference is the porcelain one. If you do the same, I recommend only flushing after the contents of your stomach have been thoroughly emptied. Save water!

Thanks to Gristmill for the link.



Interesting side note: speaking of water and the porcelain god, did you know that the name "Whiskey" is actually derived from the Scottish Gaelic term "uisge beatha" or "water of life"? So, when you're drowning your sorrows in a bottle of Crown Royal because you can't water your lawn or boil pasta or make a decent ice cube, remember that fun fact! Alarmism, yay! Go big or go home!

Labels: ,


Comments:
You have been tagged by the book meme.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?