12 September 2006
A happy epiphany
I really don't like to approve of what christians and other religious folk do to fix the planet. I'm cantankerous and sour and stubborn and have anger issues. They just rub me wrong (that one over there was looking at me funny). So it's with a ginormous helping of humble pie in my belly that I duplicate a link found on Grist. It seems that another film in the vein of An Inconvenient Truth will be released soon in order to bring the whole Global Warming Thing into churches around America. The Great Warming will be distributed, with voter guides and themed sermons, in time for midterm elections to pressure politicians to take AGW seriously.
It's good, but I sense that there will be a bit of a schism and a counter attack by the forces of greed and literalism. I mean, isn't the impending heat wave all part of the coming collapse of civilization and the rapturous soul-sucking/pyjama-emptying that comes with it? I'm going to be positive here. With WWIII taking a rain check and the Decider in Chief struggling to make the lying less obvious, maybe a huge swath of the faithful will start to question the hucksters who led them down the garden path. I won't bet the farm on a new surge of secularism, but I'm optimistic about the advent of a saner spiritualism.
It's good, but I sense that there will be a bit of a schism and a counter attack by the forces of greed and literalism. I mean, isn't the impending heat wave all part of the coming collapse of civilization and the rapturous soul-sucking/pyjama-emptying that comes with it? I'm going to be positive here. With WWIII taking a rain check and the Decider in Chief struggling to make the lying less obvious, maybe a huge swath of the faithful will start to question the hucksters who led them down the garden path. I won't bet the farm on a new surge of secularism, but I'm optimistic about the advent of a saner spiritualism.
Labels: AGW, ecochristians
Comments:
<< Home
Saner spiritualism? I wonder if there could possibly be such a thing...:)
I think you're right about a schism though. Especially considering all the fundo who'd like nothing more than to see the great apocolypse first hand...
I think you're right about a schism though. Especially considering all the fundo who'd like nothing more than to see the great apocolypse first hand...
One aspect of my idea of a saner spiritualism is one that can exist independent of a belief in god or the supernatural. Tom Harpur (The Pagan Christ)suggests that early christians knew the stories from the bible to be myths and used them for the deeper universal truths buried within. Except for the "do unto others..." bit and a few other ideas, I personally don't feel that I could get anything positive out of religion. Some eastern philosophy has helped shape my worldview, and a looser affiliation with christianity has allowed me to explore that and subsequently to sever the bonds to superstition completely.
Oops... That link didn't come out quite like I'd intended. Oh well...
I see what you mean Parge. Personally, I used to be a "born again" christian. Although I'd also studied Busido, it was the hypocricies I found in both bible and church that did it for me.
Enjoyed your blog...:)
Post a Comment
I see what you mean Parge. Personally, I used to be a "born again" christian. Although I'd also studied Busido, it was the hypocricies I found in both bible and church that did it for me.
Enjoyed your blog...:)
<< Home


