05 September 2006

I've been Tagged

Wow. I find myself honoured to be tagged by vjack at Atheist Revolution for the book meme. I've been following the progression of this through my favourite segment of the blogosphere. I never thought that I'd end up on the receiving end.

A book that changed my life
Without a doubt, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K, Dick did it for me. It put a name to the idea I already had in my head called Empathy. It set me on a course to explore that sense in myself and guided my politics and my morality. I'll also put a plug in for Roland Wright's A Short History of Progress. That changed the way I look at the world in a big way very recently.

A book I've read more than once
Simple. The Lord of the Rings. I'm treating the trilogy as a single book, which is only proper. It will always be the story most worth reading again and again.

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island
Probably Hamlet. That or Macbeth. I'll just say The Complete Works of Shakespeare. I've got a single bound edition of the lot. One could spend a lot of time trying to eke more meaning out of the bard. Learning to act the roles would be a challenge as well. There are many ways to play the Dane.

A book that made me laugh
More than any other, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. I peed myself the first time I read it. Douglas Adams also did it for me, but I think that like Monty Python, it just isn't as funny after experiencing it for the umpteenth time.

A book that made me cry
Watership Down. I've never really cried reading a book. This one made me the most teary though. Hazel-rah, RIP

A book that I wish had been written
The Council of Nicea: The Lost Tapes

A book that I wish had never been written
Leviticus. Well, if people didn't take it so seriously, it would be good for a laugh.

A book I've been meaning to read
More Hesse, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I'd also like to finish the Tao Te Ching. There are probably a dozen non-fiction books I haven't started yet.

I'm currently reading
I'm having a hard time finishing books before I move on to something else I want to read. At the moment:
Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey Sachs
Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization by Richard Manning
The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution by Richard Dawkins
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals by John Gray

My 5 tagging victims:
cedarseven
dingdong
The Atheist Mama
green LA girl
A Rational Being

Thanks vjack

Edit2: Ok, if anyone read my last edit, please note that I do realize how dumb and inconsiderate I am. It just takes time to sink in. I've deleted the last edit.

Comments:
Hey vjack!

If interested Organically Speaking a Seattle-base website has released a conversation with Michael Pollan podcast (audio conversation). Interesting tidbits on farmers markets, CSAs, and more!

Some Podcast Show Note Questions:

Q) Why the price difference between conventional food and organic and how do we go about bringing down organic food prices?

Q) How can small local organic farmers remain local in a capitalistic system?

Q) What is the "Food Web" you briefly touch on in your book, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

http://OrganicallySpeaking.org

All the best,
-Ricardo

Holistic Conversations for a Sustainable World
 
EA, I just posted my "Tagged" response. Is it now my job to tag five others?

ARB
 
Tag as you wish. It's all a pyramid scheme anyway. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?