09 January 2007
More excuses from the glum club
I haven't posted in a long time. I've been preoccupied with the holidays and other stuff. Got the civilization blues sapping my creative glands. I'm beginning to loathe this artificial construct that props up the culture we propagate. Civilization sucks. I've lost my will to let the myth of property persist in my life. I'm losing faith that there can be any good government. How on earth can we extricate ourselves from the lifestyle that will eventually cause environmental collapse?
Case in point: industrialization and its effects on climate change. Must have been 4 or 5 bloody storms in a row this past month, two of which toppled trees in our neighbourhood. TWO in less than a month toppling trees that were at least 50 years old. I know, you can't really draw a direct correlation between AGW and a few weather anomalies. There just isn't enough data. It stinks though. When we do finally have enough to prove it, it will be too late (not that there isn't enough to prove AGW, just not enough to link it to the uprooted conifer in our courtyard). We've got a cage full of dead canaries but we're still waiting for the last one to bite it before we decide that it's time to leave the coal mine. The dominant culture thrives on this sort of suicidal myopia.
The methane is seeping out of the not-so-permafrost exacerbating the feedback effect. Drought, desertification, and atypical infestation is killing off CO2 eaters, heat absorbers, and water retainers, exacerbating the feedback effect. Less ice at the poles means less heat reflection means more heat absorption means less ice - yet another feedback effect. Even if we stopped burning the primordial goo tomorrow, there's no guarantee that the warming will decrease before the majority of us are killed off.
Every day, I dwell on how fucked we are, all the while looking into studying up to improve my career options, just so I can get out of debt, so I can save some money, so I can buy land to make into an off-grid, permaculture oasis from the looming collapse. It's fucking ridiculous really.
Update: another one hit yesterday with more fallen trees. I wasn't even paying attention to the news when I first typed this entry. What the hell? I've lived in this city for a decade and a half. Nothing like this has ever happened before.
Case in point: industrialization and its effects on climate change. Must have been 4 or 5 bloody storms in a row this past month, two of which toppled trees in our neighbourhood. TWO in less than a month toppling trees that were at least 50 years old. I know, you can't really draw a direct correlation between AGW and a few weather anomalies. There just isn't enough data. It stinks though. When we do finally have enough to prove it, it will be too late (not that there isn't enough to prove AGW, just not enough to link it to the uprooted conifer in our courtyard). We've got a cage full of dead canaries but we're still waiting for the last one to bite it before we decide that it's time to leave the coal mine. The dominant culture thrives on this sort of suicidal myopia.
The methane is seeping out of the not-so-permafrost exacerbating the feedback effect. Drought, desertification, and atypical infestation is killing off CO2 eaters, heat absorbers, and water retainers, exacerbating the feedback effect. Less ice at the poles means less heat reflection means more heat absorption means less ice - yet another feedback effect. Even if we stopped burning the primordial goo tomorrow, there's no guarantee that the warming will decrease before the majority of us are killed off.
Every day, I dwell on how fucked we are, all the while looking into studying up to improve my career options, just so I can get out of debt, so I can save some money, so I can buy land to make into an off-grid, permaculture oasis from the looming collapse. It's fucking ridiculous really.
Update: another one hit yesterday with more fallen trees. I wasn't even paying attention to the news when I first typed this entry. What the hell? I've lived in this city for a decade and a half. Nothing like this has ever happened before.
Labels: AGW
Comments:
<< Home
Glad to see you're posting again.
Every day, I dwell on how fucked we are, all the while looking into studying up to improve my career options, just so I can get out of debt, so I can save some money, so I can buy land to make into an off-grid, permaculture oasis from the loom really.
I hear ya. It sucks all around.
Post a Comment
Every day, I dwell on how fucked we are, all the while looking into studying up to improve my career options, just so I can get out of debt, so I can save some money, so I can buy land to make into an off-grid, permaculture oasis from the loom really.
I hear ya. It sucks all around.
<< Home

